Computer facts can be very interesting. You should try to get to know some of them. After all, we all use it on a daily basis. Whether you are a worker typing on a keyboard on your laptop or desktop, or you are using your mobile phone, you will always be exposed. You will always be using a type of computer.
Without a doubt, the use of computers has revolutionised how our society functions. Admittedly, it will be very hard to live without them now. We have gotten so used to the fact that these devices can help make things more convenient for us. That means you need to try to get to know more about these devices – at least, beyond knowing how to use them. Getting to know some computer facts might be a great way to start.
Historical facts about computers
There are a couple of historical facts about computers that will really make you appreciate the modern version. It will also give you a sense of pride when you realise how far we have come from the very first computer that was ever created.
- In 1833, Charles Babbage invented the parts that would soon be used to create the modern computer. This was actually 120 years before the actual modern computer was first invented.
- Z1 was the first computer created by inventor Konrad Zuse. This was in 1936. Three years after, in 1939, Z2 was created and became the first electro-mechanical computer.
- It was only in the 1940s when the early computers were really created. The first ones were so big that it occupied a large room. It also consumed a lot of electricity. The ENIAC weighed 27 tons and occupied 1800 square feet of space.
- Computers started looking like what they are today in the 1980s. The IBM 5120 was created in 1980 and weighed 105 pounds – excluding the 130 pounds of the external floppy drive.
- The first hard disk was made in 1979 and can only store 5MB of data. When the first 1GB disk drive was released in 1980, it cost US$40,000 and weighed 550 pounds.
- The first two video games that were made and released in the US were called Lunar Lander and Asteroids. This was back in 1980.
- The first computer mouse was made of wood and was invented in 1964.
- HP, Microsoft, and Apple all started in a garage.
- The first microprocessor that was created by Intel was called the 4004. It was for a calculator.
Interesting facts about computers
Apart from the historical computer facts, there are also a lot of interesting ones that you might want to know about.
- Computers can make calculations fast because of microprocessors.
- The RAM serves as the memory of a computer. Anything you store in a computer will be placed in the RAM. This is also where the data that is used to make the computer function is stored as well.
- Computers have built-in fans to keep them cool.
- 90% of the world’s money exists inside a computer.
- Every month, more than 6,000 new computer viruses are released. This is why you need to keep your computer protected.
- 70% of virus writers are said to be working for organized crime syndicates.
- On an average, we blink our eyes 20x a minute. But when we are looking at a computer screen, it goes down to 7x a minute.
- 80% of emails being sent every day are spams.
- The case of the original Macintosh has 47 signatures – one from every member of the 1982 Macintosh division in Apple.
- Facebook has more than a billion users.
What do you think about these computer facts? Hope they gave you a better understanding and appreciation of computers.